Albuquerque Journal (Albuquerque, NM)

Taos DA Seeks 1 Death-Penalty Charge.

Byline: Kathryn Holzka By The Journal

2nd Slaying Case Lacking Evidence

TAOS The state Attorney General's Office will seek the death penalty in one of two cases pending against a 28-year-old Taos man charged with first-degree murder in two shooting deaths last year.

Assistant Attorney General Art Weidemann said Friday that his office filed a notice with the Eighth Judicial District Court last month of its intention not to seek capital punishment against Andrew Martinez in the death of 24-year-old Chris Medina because of lack of evidence to support it.

Weidemann said the office will proceed with plans to seek the death penalty in the shooting of 42-year-old Jonathan Weiss because of aggravating factors, which include the fact that the homicide was committed while Martinez was allegedly attempting to evade police after escaping from the Taos County Adult Detention Center. …

Log in to your account to read this article – and millions more.