Albuquerque Journal (Albuquerque, NM)

Play it safe when you light up your furnace.(Homestyle)

Byline: Rick Nathanson Journal Staff Writer

* Proper precautions will reduce risk of carbon monoxide leaking into home

Lighting the furnace for the winter season and cleaning or replacing the air filter are relatively easy measures that most homeowners can do themselves.

However, care must be taken to properly replace the furnace blower doors to avoid the risk of potentially lethal carbon monoxide leaking into the home, said Julie McCabe, a spokesperson for the Public Service Company of New Mexico.

Improperly fitted blower doors are the No. 1 reason for carbon monoxide buildup in a home, she said. Other causes include cracks that develop in the furnace fire box, improper venting of gas appliances, and using a gas stove to heat the kitchen. …

Log in to your account to read this article – and millions more.