Albuquerque Journal (Albuquerque, NM)

Student Recovering From Exposure to Fumes.

Byline: Morgan Lee Journal Staff Writer

Explanation Sent To Pecos Parents

At least one student stayed home from Pecos Middle School on Wednesday to recover the day after several students were treated for exposure to paint-remover fumes.

In a letter to parents, Pecos Independent Schools Superintendent Harrell Holder described how an effort to clean graffiti from a classroom wall eventually lead school nurses to call state poison control experts. Four students were treated and released from St. Vincent Hospital.

"I regret that this incident happened and assure you that we are taking measures to prevent any further occurrences," Holder wrote.

The letter included a toll-free number for parents to call New Mexico Poison Control and confirm the school's findings. …

Log in to your account to read this article – and millions more.