Albuquerque Journal (Albuquerque, NM)

Solvent Sickens Students.

Byline: Wren Propp Journal Staff Writer

16 Treated After Classroom Incident

Sixteen children became ill four were sent to a Santa Fe emergency room after a teacher at Pecos Middle School ordered two of them to use paint remover in an unventilated classroom Tuesday, parents of two of the children said.

Debbie Lopez is the mother of a 12-year-old treated at St. Vincent Hospital emergency room. Her son, R.J., said he was one of the boys ordered to use the paint remover, in spray cans, on some graffiti scrawled on a chalkboard. They were not given gloves or face masks and the room was not ventilated, Lopez said R.J. told her.

The boy told her the can had a warning on it: "Keep away from children. …

Log in to your account to read this article – and millions more.