Albuquerque Journal (Albuquerque, NM)

Firefighters Save Pups From Burning House.

Byline: John J. Lumpkin And Andrew Webb Journal Staff Writers

3 Children Blamed For Starting Blaze

Firefighters saved part of a litter of puppies found in a Southeast Albuquerque house that was burned when, according to a fire official, three children set fire to gasoline Friday afternoon.

Paramedics kept one puppy breathing using a human-sized oxygen mask. The pup stopped breathing several times, but somehow survived.

The house, on the 500 block of San Pablo SE, went up in flames around 2 p.m. Firefighters said it was gutted, although most of the walls remained intact.

The children, at least some of whom lived at the home, fled "when they realized they couldn't put the fire out with the garden hose," said Battalion Chief Bobby Halton. …

Log in to your account to read this article – and millions more.