Albuquerque Journal (Albuquerque, NM)

Keep pets inside on July Fourth.(Final)

Byline: Journal Staff Report

Pets and fireworks don't mix and ought to be kept as far apart as possible.

The loud explosions from July Fourth fireworks can not only frighten animals, but can trigger life-threatening situations, according to Dr. John August of Texas A&M University's College of Veterinary Medicine.

The sudden loud bangs from fireworks can cause some animals to have seizures, or can trigger such illnesses as epilepsy. Dogs in particular can get deathly sick if they chew on exploded or unexploded fireworks, which contain toxic chemicals.

During Independence Day fireworks displays, August recommends keeping pets indoors and keeping a radio or television turned on to mask the sound of the explosions and give the pets a feeling of familiarity. …

Log in to your account to read this article – and millions more.