Albuquerque Journal (Albuquerque, NM)

Identify your beneficiaries and very clearly.(Business Outlook)

Byline: Ask the Probate Judge Merri Rudd For the Journal

Q: My adult children are squabbling over their inheritance from me, and I'm not dead yet! I would like to leave the bulk of my estate to nonprofit charities. Is there a way I can circumvent lengthy court battles? I'm single, if that makes a difference. S.K., Albuquerque

A: If you are single, you may leave your assets to whomever you wish, as long as you do not have minor children who depend on you for support. You have no legal obligation to leave your assets to your adult children. But you MUST create a valid will or trust that clearly states your intent.

Many parents leave their assets to their children. …

Log in to your account to read this article – and millions more.