Air Transport World

Euro Parliament approves ETS as Single Sky moves forward.(NewsBriefs)(Brief article)

Europe one day may have a Single European Sky. It almost certainly will have emissions trading after the European Parliament on July 8 adopted legislation to include aviation, including airlines from outside the EU, in the body's ETS beginning Jan. 1, 2012. A week earlier, the European Commission adopted the second package of legislation to lay the groundwork for a Single European Sky.

Under the ETS agreement, 85% of emissions certificates will be allocated for free "according to a common European benchmark," while the remaining 15% will be auctioned to airlines. The allocation will be designed to cut emissions by 3% from 2004-06 levels in 2012 and by 5% from 2013 onward. Small airline companies producing low emissions are excluded. …

Log in to your account to read this article – and millions more.