Fire

Award for firefighting neighbour.(News)

Everyone needs good neighbours and the Morris family from Telford certainly appreciate theirs.

For next door neighbour, 20-year-old Shyam Vadukul, saved their family home from severe damage when fire broke out in the kitchen after the grill was accidentally left on by their teenage son.

Alerted by the 14-year-old, quick thinking Shyam ran next door, hurriedly switched off the mains, covered the flame filled grill with a damp tea towel and opened the windows to let out the black, choking smoke.

He then closed all the doors inside the house in Damson Drive, The Rock, to prevent smoke or further flames from spreading and waited safely outside for the fire brigade to arrive. …

Log in to your account to read this article – and millions more.