Fire

Family saved by smoke alarm.

A Brighton family had a lucky escape when a fire broke out under their stairs in the early hours of the morning whilst they were asleep. Fortunately their house was fitted with smoke alarms. Although the smoke alarm woke them up, when they got down stairs they were trapped by locked doors and windows. They keys were not immediately available and the house was in darkness from the fire. Once they found the keys the family escaped unhurt.

Senior Fire Safety Officer Adrian Brown said: "Once again this fire shows that smoke alarms really do save lives, as without this early warning the fire could have had fatal consequences. …

Log in to your account to read this article – and millions more.