Fire

Hotel guilty of evading fire safety law.

Following an inspection of Himley House Hotel near Wombourne on May 5, 2004, it was found that the fire warning system installed within the premises was inoperative and had been in this condition since November 10, 2003.

It was decided by legal representatives of Staffordshire Fire and Rescue Service that there was sufficient grounds to institute legal proceedings under the Fire Precautions Act 1971 against Himley House Hotel. The matter was heard at Stafford Magistrates Court on April 7, 2005. The company that owned Himley House Hotel pleaded guilty. However, in their defence, Himley House Hotel maintained that they had spent 4,000 [pounds sterling] prior to the inspection by the fire and rescue service being carried out, and due to a recent change in ownership, procedures were not property in place at the time of the contravention. …

Log in to your account to read this article – and millions more.