Fire

Huge shopping complex blaze reduced by fire doors: more than 200 firefighters tackled Devon's largest property fire in recent memory at a 100-acre shopping complex. The fire could have been much worse if fire doors had not helped stop the spread of fire.(Fire Report)

More than thirty fire appliances from across the county attended the incident at Trago Mills, Newton Abbot, on October 6.

No one was hurt in the blaze and two-thirds of the main building was saved from destruction. The store is a famous shopping landmark in the South West, selling furniture, clothing, paint and virtually every kind of household goods.

The incident is now being used by Devon Fire and Rescue Service to graphically illustrate how precautions such as fire doors can be vital in helping to stop the spread of fire through large buildings. Fire doors were fitted to separate different departments and several new extensions to the main building at the complex since a serious fire at the site 20 years ago. …

Log in to your account to read this article – and millions more.